Re: RE: Learning more/Linux programming books

Quoting Bruce Sass (bsass@ecn.ab.ca):

> How does Python rate as a beginners language?

Excellent. The manuals are excellent, free and, for once, you
can probably get away without the O'Reilly book. I find it much
easier to code cleanly than Perl (which I came from because Perl
was the only way of doing shell programming on DOS), and it's
the only language I've found which is as good for both quick-and-
dirty and real programming. It doesn't force OOP on you, yet
everything is an object.

For beginners, the tracebacks are excellent, and the way `thingy`
exposes everything is great. And you can try things out in the
interactive interpreter.

I've also found that the way in which unix (C) and the GUI (Tkinter,
written in tcl) are wrapped makes it easy, for example, to do
systems programming stuff from documentation written for C.

Cheers,