Re: serial mouse problem

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Vincent Murphy wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my serial mouse.  I left my machine last night
> in X, and when I returned this morning, the mouse was dead.  So, I killed
> the Xserver, restarted it.  Nothing.  Rebooted in Win95, which didn't pick
> up the mouse either.  When I rebooted into Linux, gpm started as normal,
> but it doesn't work either.
>
> I will provide diagnostics on request, as I don't know what to include at
> this point.
>
> regards,
> vinny
>
> --
>     Vincent Murphy | UCC CompSci Student | theDon@cs.ucc.ie | (086) 8397405
>                                NT = Not Today

You might try switching your mouse to the other serial port and see if
Win95 finds it, but when I've seen this behavior before, it was a dead
mouse, so you may have to replace it.

Also, if your CMOS battery is weak/dead, your BIOS may have reverted to
turning off your serial port, although that doesn't really make sense
since the box was powered up when the mouse died. But maybe some glitch
turned off the port in CMOS, so I'd at least check it out.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu