I have a PB Legend 316SX PC (386SX processor, 6M RAM + 3M extended RAM, 41M hd) upon which I am trying to install linux.  Everything has been wiped from the hard drive, including the operating system.  I am having trouble booting from the Debian rescue disk.  Here's what happens:

It says     Loading ...      then a bunch of binary fills the screen for awhile then it stops and says       Loading linux... Not enough memory to load specified kernel.

I have tried the following:
     at the boot: prompt, I type in linux floppy0 (having my low memory root disk ready and the rescue disk in the drive)  and I get the same message
     using fdisk, I repartitioned my hd for minimum (1M) allocated for DOS (the dos fdisk won't allow partitions for anything but DOS), leaving the other 40M unpartitioned and I got the same message.
     at the boot: prompt, I've tried typing just floppy0 with the rescue disk in (same message) and with the lowmemroot disk in (can't find kernel is the message then).
     I have tried making another rescue disk, only to get the same results.

I have also tried several things that were silly out of desperation.  Please help me;  I am anxious to get linux on line to try it out and customize it as much as my little 40M will allow.

Thanks for your time and attention.
Chris Nichols
chris-nichols@usa.net