KDE and the .deb

>> Get the sources and compile them yourself (support, libs, base (the
>> rest in any order)). This requires a pretty fat developers installation of
>
>This could be done I suppose..  But it has a disadvantage too in that it
>defeats the purpose of packaging the thing.

There is always a tradeoff between controll and accessability...

>Thinking that line, what would then be really nice is a debianized package
>version done "properly", in an attempt to make the whole thing as close to
>policy as possible (and have resolvable deps..)

To tell the truth I would much rather see a unified installation system, but I
suppose that is not to be easily done when every dist has it's own (bizare) set
of rules for maintenance.

>Granted, since I do not know what the helpful tools are for making .deb
>files I would end up building the package directories by hand, but hey.

Yes, why not? It is after all the only truly general installation procedure to
date. Actually, KDE impressed me alot since the configuration/compile scripts
could easily have been hidden behind some fancy graphics stuff.

/klasa