Apache Question

Using Apache/1.1.3 Debian/GNU, I am trying to ScriptAlias a directory under a
users home directory so that it can execute cgi programs.  The tilde in the
ScriptAlias directive from the srm.conf file seems to be causing problems in
the line below (cgi programs are not being executed, but instead are displayed
as text) :

ScriptAlias /~smith/cgi-bin/ /home/smith/public_html/cgi-bin/

All other conditions equal, removing the tilde from the ScriptAlias directive
causes programs to be executed in the users cgi directory:

ScriptAlias /smith/cgi-bin/ /home/smith/public_html/cgi-bin/

I would like to access the cgi directory as http://myhost/~smith/cgi-bin/*
instead of http://myhost/smith/cgi-bin/* (Note the tilde in the first case).
I have tried to escape the tilde a few different ways without success, and
have not found anything in the apache documentation as to how to solve this.
Any ideas on how to solve this would be welcome.

- Tim Metz
  tmetz@ix.netcom.com