problems using xmaple in a remote xterminal

I am using the Linux version of maple V R4
(maple is a computer algebra system).
If I start xmaple (the graphical interface) locally,
everything works fine. However, if I try to use a
remote xterminal (using rlogin or telnet) I get a
segmentation fault. More recently I noticed that
the same problem also happens with Netscape Communicator 4.04.

I have posted this problem to the maple user group (MUG)
and I got a couple of answers. They basically say that
there have been problems with Linux 2.0.029 and higher when
using DISPLAY in the form <hostname>:0.0. ,  and that I should
try one of the following:

  xmaple -display <ip_number_of_host>:0.0
or
  xmaple -display :0.0

Another suggestion was that fully resolved numeric entries
should be added in the /etc/hosts.

I have already tried all these but the problem persists.
As a last resort it has been suggested that could try falling
back a few kernels since it seems that linux changed the way
it did gethostbyname(). Since I have many other good reasons
to keep a kernel higher than 2.0.27, I did not try to downgrade
my kernel.

I am sure that there must be a better solution.
May be I am missing some kernel configuration option (?).

Yours,
                        Fernando

PS - My Linux box is a Debian GNU/Linux 2.0.33
         and the machine is a PII-300