1) Problem when installing cnews 2) Do I need it ?

1)
rakefet# dpkg --configure cnews
Setting up cnews (cr.g7-4) ...
Using existing cnews configuration.
dpkg: error processing cnews (--configure):
 cnews

After comparing the postinst script to the files that were found in my system,
I concluded that the offending part of the script was:
	if [ ! -e /var/lib/news/bin/compress ]; then
        gzip=`which gzip`
        export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb
        compress=`which compress`
        if [ -z "$compress" ]; then
                echo "Can't find a 'compress' program, but cnews needs it."
                echo "Making a symlink /var/lib/news/bin/compress -> /bin/gzip
o"
                echo "fix this, but you may have problems if exchanging with
sit
es"
                echo "where uncompress isn't really gunzip. Also, if you later"
                echo "install a real compress, don't forget to remove the
symlin
k"
                echo "in /var/lib/news/bin, so that C News uses it."
                echo "Press RETURN."
                read dummy
                ln -s /bin/gzip /var/lib/news/bin/compress

Setting the link by hand solved the problem, and I was able to get the
postinst to run completly.

I hardly read bash so I can't tell what the problem is. Is it due to the fact
that I don't have a /usr/ucb directory in my system ?
Did someone else experinced that problem ?

2)
I tried to install cnews at the first place becuase it is a pre requierment
for NNTP. And the reason I want NNTP is becuase I want to be able to read (and
post) news without the need for downloading large files from my ISP. Does NNTP
a reasonble solution ? Are there better solutions ? (I am connected to the
Internet with a 33.6K modem and a dialup line).