Re: X11R6.4 and Debian

> Alex> let's not start the war, please... May be it is time to realize
> Alex> the existence of "non-free" software and try to live in peace
> Alex> with that, not try to ignore as much as possible its existence,
> Alex> adjust our policy and practice to the changing
> Alex> world. Proprietary software has its own and very important
> Alex> role,let's understand that.
>
> 	X has gone commercial, and the PC 98 harware standard requires
>  a NDA, which means that the free software ommunity has been locked
>  out. And you propose we just turn the other cheek? And help all the
>  people who are locking us out?

Turning the other cheek won't do any bad to us. Turning to destructive
position won't do any good. I prefer to be on a safer side.
Also, nothing seems to be as bad as you are trying to show, and no need
for turning the cheek for a slap.

> 	If we change our policy and give in, there shall be no Debian
>  or Linux around for much longer, IMO. I think "adjust our policy and
>  practice to the changing world" shall destroy what we have, here in
>  the free software world. I find it ironic that consumers of a free
>  software product are advocating that it move to be more accomodating
>  to proprietary schemes of software development.

> 	Should we require a $25000 membership fees for using Debian?

I don't think there will be need for that. But those who want derive
distribution based on Debian for *commercial* use might need to pay some
fee. That's bad, but gives us a chance to survive intsted of being "locked
up" and continue to play with outdated software and hardware.

Also, let's not do any sharp moves right now. Let's wait a little bit.

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--
   _