Re: About network daemons in a multi homed workstation

Thank you for your answers. I was absent for a few days and couldn't follow on this thread that I started.

My NFS/SAMBA server is in a lab with no connections to the external world and it is just serving a few Debian development workstations. That's why I don't care about security.

Anyway, I think I found the source of the problem. The two Ethernet interfaces with problems in the server are connected to a prototype router that at this moment is not learning MAC addresses properly. However, it handles well ARP and the workstations know about the MAC addresses of the router. What happens then is that all incoming traffic, from the router into the Debian server, has FFFFFFFF as the destination MAC address.

Curiously enough, this layer 2 broadcast address is processed well by ICMP (the ping command in my case) but not by the network daemons. That is, I can ping the server from the other workstations across the router but I can't NFS/SMB-mount any files on them. Fixing the problem with the MAC address makes the network daemons available to the clients.

So the question probably is, who is stopping these layer 2 broadcast messages from getting to the network daemons? and why?

Pedro I. Sanchez