Re: masq server hardware req's

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Sibuyas Bombay wrote:

> Hi !
>   I have an old pentium 90 here with 32 mb physical mem on it and I am planning
> to use it as an IP Masquerading server / DNS caching only server and Mail server
> with a *.ml.org (as soon as they recover) for our group of 20 users and 9 winblows
> boxes.
>   I already have this kind of server running great on a Pentium166 w/ 64 mb
> RAM and was just wondering if i can salvage this old puter of mine and give
> it some use.

For that number of users and those services, a 386 with 16MB of RAM should
be fine. What is the internet connection? If it is a serial port to a
modem or something ... no problem. Your concern is going to be with disk
space. If users leave their pop3 mail in the server, mail files can grow
quite large. This is particularly true at Christmastime here in the US
where Windows users have a fondness for sending emails with >50MB
movies attached of Santa and his deer dancing around.

>   Do you think that old puters hardware can do the kind of work i want it to
> do and still perform as good as the other one or do i need to upgrade something
> ?
>   thanks,
> Sib

That P166 with 64MB is severe overkill for a mail/DNS/firewall. You don't
need anywhere near that kind of CPU. Most of your time is going to be
spent waiting for the next network packet.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!