ide channel 3 HDD - Linux won't boot

I cannot get linux to boot from my HDD, which comes up as hde.
I altered the entries in my fstab when I upgraded my computer.

The reason I have it on the 3rd ide channel, is that my old 486 had no problems with drives > 2.1M, but my (second-hand) pentium does. I have an old western digital 32 bit ide card kicking around, so I put that in, and bios doesn't hang when I boot.
Linux gets up to loading the root filesystem, then cant and halts.

I know that Linux can read the harddisk (well it works in DOS/WIndows :-( [I wouldn't mind it not working in win85 as long as it worked in Linux]) because when I booted off the rescue disk to change the fstab entries, I had to mount it and it worked.

Anyone got any ideas?

I will be really grateful for any help
Frankie