Re: Slink features

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Cristov Russell wrote:

> I like the overall setup of Red Hat
> and the sound card setup is particularly painless but I think that the
> Debian distribution better serves my needs overall.

I'm a new debian user as well. I had earlier some time RH and later suse.
In my opinion suse is far superior to debian in some respects.

1) Installation procedure with suse really works. Debian base installation
worked very well as well, but dselect isn't that handy. It never suggests
you through a well-documented path in which order to install first e.g
base and some other stuff, then stop the whole dselect, start it again to
install xwindows etc... suse simply has a camplete installation procedure,
and according to my experience yast and rpm can handle the dependencies
very well. I never had problems with dependencies with it. (it was suse
5.2.)

2) I liked the ready made installation procedure for printer, network and
so on included with 'yast' as well.

-> -> So would it be so difficult for programmers to create something
similar for debian as well?

For example a whole procedure, in which order
to install the deb-packets (to get xwindows working without pains)?

And write a small program for installing a printeras well during the
installation procedure?
(I managed to get an old matrix
printer to print with lyx (using lyx customization file expalanations),
but still cannot print with nedit or xemacs... (how to do it?) . Lyx has
got many other problems, which I don't understand at all at present,
however...)

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi