Re: upgrading to slink

> I see no upgrade notes for slink.

That's right, it is not released yet.

> For hamm, these upgrade notes reside in
>    .../hamm/hamm/upgrade-i386/README-upgrade
> Usually, I just use dpkg to install whatever packages I want from the
> upgrade distribution.  For example, I might install a newer gimp from slink.
> Since I wouldn't have upgraded the base packages, I learned that using
> dpkg prematurely can cause little problems.
> Upgrading from rex to bo: I EVENTUALLY HAD TO REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH.

I did this, without problems, but only after bo had been released.

> Upgrading from bo to hamm: I EVENTUALLY HAD TO REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH.

I did this too, and had to fix some bugs in the upgrade script by
hand, but eventually succeeded.  I agree that this upgrade procedure was
by no means easy for someone without more extensive debian/unix
knowledge.

> Upgrading from hamm to slink: WHAT CAN I EXPECT.

If you had trouble upgrading before, and could not fix it yourself or
with help from this list THEN DONT TRY TO UPGRADE TO AN UNSTABLE/FROZEN
DISTRIBUTION.

> With no instructions, I certainly will not use raw dpkg to add packages
> from slink to my current hamm distribution --
> unless of course "dependencies" prevent this (do they now?).

Dependencies do not protect you from broken packages.  Slink has not
been announced as being stable, so it is known to contain broken
packages.  In other words: upgrade now and be assured of getting some
broken packages (well, almost assured).  I think if there is no real
compelling reason to upgrade, it is best to wait for slink to be
released, and then wait a little longer after that and watch this list
carefully to see what problems could be expected.  And please don't
shout on this list, we're all fellow users and volunteers.

HTH,
Eric, who is typing this on a bo system, since it is perfectly capable
of what he needs it for.

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032