RE: Monitor vs X servers

> Well, in running XF86Setup, it wouldn't bring up an xterm when
> SVGA was specified (nor S3, if I recall correctly).
0---5----1----5----2----5----3----5----4----5----5----5----6----5----7--
	You were sure you installed the X server *before* running
XF86Setup, weren't you?  And also a window manager, which you will need
before you can launch a xterm.

> My hope
> was that someone might be familiar enough with X11 stuff to
> point out either a workaround (e.g., manual edits to Xconfig?)
> or a non-Debian X server that could be downloaded from someone's
> web site.

	The only X servers not available from Debian are the ones at
SuSe or the last version of XFree86 if there wasn't enough time to
integrate them into Debian.  And manual edits to configuration files
should be avoided -- there are no real problems xf86config or XF86Setup
won't take care of.  Provided you installed and specified the correct
X server.

	Would someone knowledgeable at the list find what is the name of
the X server for the Diamond Stealth card or the S3 Trio chipset?

Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra
Amdocs Brasil Ltda