configuring X for a laptop...

hello,
i looked at the laptop site referenced from the linux.org pages, looked into
the database, found a config file for my chipset, tryed it without success...

before that i tryed to use the different X-configurators is know of, but with
all i had a problem:

what do i tell them when it comes to the screen section? In my manual about the
laptop there's only written 13.3" XGA TFT-LCD.... no vertical nor horizontal
bandwidth....

with the xf86configurator i had no working result, with XF86Setup i had a
working 800x600 and afterwards a  working 1024x768 but with a double screen,
means i had the display twice on the same screen, with fonts unreadably
small...

With both setup files from the database i get a strange result:
the display starts black with some cluttered white lines, then the display
starts to be white from the corners on.....

Now my laptop is a Medion PII, debian-slink system, graphic card is referenced
as Trident Cyber 9397 PCI, 3D, 4M....

any hint?
(i am in the proces on trying to get myself on the laptop mailing list, but
with no success since yet...)

ciao
bboett
acount at earthling net
http://erm6.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett
Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this email address
To contact me replace acount by bboett in above addresses