Re: X authentication problen

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 05:36:45PM +0000, richard wrote:
> X is running fine apart from one problem involving the
> .Xauthentication file. If I login as user bob and startx everything is
> fine. I happily compiled vim-5.3 for the graphical interface. Now, if
> I su to root and try to run gvim I get the following error;

> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> cannot open displayXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

The best way to fix this (in my opinion, at least) is to install ssh
from one of the non-US mirrors.  Then instead of using su to become
root, you'd use "ssh -l root localhost"... ssh will take care of
forwarding the X session for you.

Otherwise you'll probably need to use xauth to explicitly allow your new
userid to share the display.