Re: Re : RE: please help me: problems for users!

M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Mitch Blevins wrote:
>
> > M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > > Can you post /etc/passwd and /etc/group, please?
> >
> > Please post your private PGP key and pass phrase also. ;)
>
> Red herring. If he uses shadow passwords, then the password field mearly
> contains an x. If he doesn't, then it is only a one-way hash. Having said
> that, he claims to use shadow, so this shouldn't matter.

This is true.  It escaped me that he was using shadow mode.  Let's hope
he is right about that.  The one-way hashes would be easily brute-forced
with a local copy of them.

<anecdote>
At my company, they are building a new samba password file based
on the passwords of the unix accounts.  Just running crack on a spare
machine, we've gotten 95% of the passwords without having to ask
the users to re-set their passwords for samba (wouldn't want to bother
them too much)
</anecdote>

-Mitch