Re: ICQ over IP Masquerading

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 02:42:16PM -0500, Paul Miller wrote:
> Has anyone gotten ICQ to work over Linux IP Masquerading?  Someone said
> something about telling Linux that ICQ uses ports 2000 to 4000, but I don't
> know what to do with them or how.  Can anyone help?

Well, it does work. If the person you're communicating with also uses
ICQ behind a firewall it begins to break down though.

The best fix is to install socks5 on a host you can reach without
masquerading (eg the masquerading host) and use it with ICQ.
You can download socks5 from www.socks.nec.com, but be careful of
the license (which is why no debian packages exist).

Hamish