Help with automatic logins with telnet

I need help with automatically logging in to a computer with telnet.  I want to use a file with my user name and password stored in it, and have telnet read theinput from the file using "telnet < login" where login is the file with my name and password.  I've tried this, but it doesn't work.  It just gives me a
Connection closed by foreign host before it even tries to read from the login
file.  I'm not sure what's wrong.  Could someone please help me with this.
Thanks in advance.  BTW please send replies to bmaneik@htonline.com instead of
replying to the list since I'm no longer subscribed to the list.  I hope some of this is clear.