SVGATextMode! (was Re: Console mode with >80x24 possible?

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 07:57:15AM +0100, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> -> > Eric House (fixin@peak.org):
> -> > > Can I rebuild the kernal to use my entire display?
> -> > >
> -> > > My hamm-equipped laptop has an 800x600 screen.  When in console mode
> -> > > it uses only the middle of the screen for an 80x24 display -- even
> -> > > though there's room on the screen for at least 120x32.
> -> >
> -> > try adding vga=extended or vga=ask to your boot-prompt
> ->
> -> 	I'd also suggest taking a look at 'SVGATextmode' and see if your video
> -> card's chipset is supported.  If SVGATextmode can work on your system,
> -> it will allow you to change textmodes without rebooting, i.e., allowing
> -> you to switch from 80x25 to a custom mode and back.
>
> Yes SVGATextmode is nice; but adding "vga=..." into lilo.conf is nice too;
> for example I have "vga=0xf05" for having 30 lines on screen which is very
> nice for me.

Hi,

SVGATextMode has more advantages over vga= option:

* You can choose from dozens of textmodes, for example 100x37 is nice here.
  vga= only allows three (I think).

* You can design your own text modes if you have special needs (for example
  visually impaired can choose 40x20. Linux is just great.)

* You can alter your vertical refresh in text mode!! This is the best
  thing, because you can reduce the flickering. I am running 100x37 with a
  refresh rate of 85 Hz.

=> A big YES for SVGATextMode.

Marcus