Re: Cyrillic input in X

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 11:03:19AM -0600, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:
>    Yes, xmodmap is one of the solutions.
>    The second is xruskb. You can find it in Debian as a package.
>
>    But this two solutions are "Nasty hacks (tm)" :)
>
> and what so "nasty" (tm) in xmodmap ? it was quite blessed
> solution till what? X11R6, where Xkb extension was introduced?

Well, with Xkb you use keysyms such as Cyrillic_de or Cyrillic_zhe.
With xmodmap (as a rule!) you use keysyms such as Ediaresis & Co. And it's
not _russian_ characters. It's hack. You give the koi8-r font to the
application and it looks for you as a russian letters. But *they do not*.

> And due to backward compatibility xmodmap and friends work just
> fine with X11R6...
>
>    The Right Thing - to use Xkb & locale.
>
> Locales are irrelevant to Xkb. I'm using locales with xrus...

Well, but - if you use Xkb - the right tuned locale can help some application
(E.g. Netscape) handle all that Cyrillic_*. W/o russian locale and with Xkb
you cannot enter russian letters in Netscape.

> FYI, RH 5(.1) glibc come with russian koi8 locale which is  called ru_SU.

Well, why ru_RU.koi8r isn't right? *ru*ssian language in *RU*ssia with koi8r
charset. But there is not such thing as a "Soviet Union". Or it's "South Ural" -
as in Fidonet? :+)

> It would be nice to be compatible with RH. Second, xrus comes with
> nice icon indicator which changes the bitmap when you're switching languages.
> Keyboard LEDs as indicators are just not good for me (and, i suspect, for lots of
> other people) - i don't like to move my eyes from screen to keyboard.

...so write a little application for catching, e.g., Alt_R and changing the
icon :)

BTW, I do not need keyboard state indicator at all. But some people (they was
using xmodmap before) ask me how to put the indicator on Scroll Lock led :)

--
Alexey Vyskubov