Problem starting X for first time

I am new to Linux and was installing Debian 2.0 last night.  It seemed to go
well.  Dselect gave me some problems, but with the help on this list, I was
able to get that working.  Once I log in as root and get the prompt, I type
"startx" and it blanks the screen, then comes back with

	Fatal server error:  No valid modes found
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect:  Can't connect:errno=111
	giving up
	xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X
server
	xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

I have an S3 Virge w/ 4MB.  Not sure what version.  I tried running
/usr/sbin/xbase-configure force and configuring it for a generic S3.  I
choose the Super VGA interlaced.  It seems to work fine, but then when I am
done and go back to the prompt, and startx again, same problem.  Any
suggestions would be great.  If I need to alter anything by hand, please
tell me how to do that.  I really don't know what I am doing.

Bret Craw
Maintenance Renewal