Re: /etc/mailname

Groumph <vdb@pipo.com> writes:

> 	Could someone say me what the /etc/mailname file is made for ? Which
> program uses it ?
> And when ? I could not find any doc on it ...

>From the Debian policy manual:

=> 4.5. Mail transport agents
=> --------------------------
=>
=> 	Debian packages which process electronic mail, whether
=> 	mail-user-agents (MUAs) or mail-transport-agents (MTAs), *must* make
=> 	sure that they are compatible with the configuration decisions below.
=> 	Failure to do this may result in lost mail, broken `From:' lines, and
=> 	other serious brain damage!
=>
	[ snip ]
=>
=> 	If you need to know what name to use (for example) on outgoing news
=> 	and mail messages which are generated locally, you should use the file
=> 	`/etc/mailname'. It will contain the portion after the username and
=> 	`@' (at) sign for email addresses of users on the machine (followed by
=> 	a newline).
=>
=> 	A package should check for the existence of this file. If it exists it
=> 	should use it without comment. (An MTA's prompting configuration
=> 	script may wish to prompt the user even if it finds this file exists.)
=> 	If it does not exist it should prompt the user for the value and store
=> 	it in `/etc/mailname' as well as using it in the package's
=> 	configuration. The prompt should make it clear that the name will not
=> 	just be used by that package. For example, in this situation the INN
=> 	package says:
=>    Please enter the `mail name' of your system.  This is the hostname
=>    portion of the address to be shown on outgoing news and mail messages.
=>    The default is <syshostname>, your system's host name.
=>    Mail name [`<syshostname>']:
=> 	where <syshostname> is the output of `hostname --fqdn'.

--
David Zelinsky
dsz@alumni.caltech.edu