Re: How big is my H/D ?

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 08:58:01PM +0100, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> In fact it is not necessary to have the whole root partition below the
> 1024th cylinder. The only requirement is that all files used by Lilo at
> the boot time should be located on the cylinders below the 1024th one.

So everybody has says, but what can I say? I had Linux installed on
the last 500mb of a 1.6gb drive; booted lilo no problem.
My current root partition is 700mb; another box I have has a 600mb root.

Are you telling me that EVERYBODY with IDE disks makes their root < 504mb
and at the start of the disk, or has a small /boot? I've never done it,
and I've had no problem. I've been running Linux for over 3 years.

There seems to be a lot of urban legend involved in this story.

Hamish