Re: Installing Debian 2.0 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 CDT

Hello,

Dont Panic !!!

There is nothing wrong with your laptop, except that it has the same feature as all
the other toshiba laptops (and a few other brands).

The Toshiba laptops require special rescue and drivers and these are located in the
tecra folder in the boot disk directory.

If you are installing using floppy, you will need to create alternative rescue and
drivers disks using the files in the tecra directory.

If you are installing from CD you might have to create a rescue disk in order to boot
properly, I cant remember if this is neccessary.  But when installing the kernel image
and drivers you need to select alternative paths, not the default directories.  You
are offered the choice when running the install.

Hope this helps to get you going.

I am not sure what you have to do in order to compile the kernel youself, as you will
still need to add something somewhere to ensure the toshiba patch is added to your own
rolled kernel.

John.

--
John Stevenson, Objective Alliance: www.oa.nl

"Objects are not a technology, they are a state of mind"