Re: linux operating system

	 Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:26:54 -0800 (PST)
	 From: wendy yap <wypf@yahoo.com>

	 We are a group of students doing an assignment on LINUX operating
	 system.  We hope that you will be able to give us some information on
	 the LINUX installation and comparison with windows or DOS.
	 Mail us back as soon as possible.
	 Thank you very much for your co-operation and kindness.

	 Good day and smile  :)

go to www.gnu.org to see the whole history of the thing.  In a
nutshell: Richard M. Stallman had the idea to create a free unix
clone. Others liked the idea and helped him.  Linux wrote the
first working kernel. The ESSENCE of the idea is computer code
that is totally open to examination and/or change.

It is all copyright under the GPL (General Public License) (also
invented by Richard M. Stallman).  Windows and DOS do not show
people the inner works.  You have no way to figure out how the
software works. In that way, it is the exact opposite of RMS's
ideas.

Need any more info?

joeh