Re: How big is my H/D ?

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, ivan wrote:

 : Hello,
 :
 : The reason I ask is because Linux reports:
 : Quantam Fireball SE2.1A, 2014MB w/80kB Cache, CHS=4092/16/63

linux is almost always right.  But to check, just head over to the
Quantum web site and look up the part number.

 : DOS & BIOS on the other hand report only a 504MB H/D and so does the
 : Raneesh Partition Manager.

DOS is broken.  Most BIOS are broken.  Never heard of your partition
manager :)

 : The machine is an old 486 with AMI BIOS 1992 - is this the problem and if
 : so, by replacing the BIOS will I have access to the whole of the drive or
 : is the drive in fact only 504MB and Linux lies ???

If you need to use DOS you'll have to upgrade the BIOS, twiddle the BIOS
to work (try something like CHS=1023/64/63), or use a hack like Ontrack
Disk Manager.

On the other hand, Linux doesn't need the BIOS information at all (I
have a few machines where the BIOS has no idea I've even got IDE drives,
but Linux knows).  If you're only running Linux you're ok.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD