Re: Several questions

buns wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1st q. -
>
> A couple of months ago I did a fresh install of hamm stable and I have
> been experiencing character weirdness (basically unintelligible
> characters) appearing at my terminal when (not all the time though) I
> switch from x-windows to terminal screen. The problem does not appear in
> the x-term though.
>
> I have recently upgraded to debian 2.0 slink (still running kernel
> 2.0.34 and I have put a hold on upgrading most of the packages in X - by
> the way, is it safe now to take the plunge in upgrading X?) but the
> problem persist.  I have not experienced this problem when I was running
> debian bo on this machine.

	Upgrading X should be safe now.  The most recent version of X in slink
works fine for me.

> 2nd q. -
>
> I have successfully installed netscape-communicator 4.05 using alien
> (from RedHat 5.1 cd) but I find that I have to manually invoke netscape
> (ie typing /usr/bin/netscape-communicator).  I am using wmaker 0.20.2-1.
> Question is how do I get netscape-communicator on the menu of wmaker. I
> have installed the menu package and the command update-menus doesn't do
> anything.

	update-menus won't work because you installed an 'alienized' Red Hat
rpm and not a deb.  This is the kind of thing that makes using alien
potentially problematic.  NS 4.07 (and the 4.5 beta, and 4.08 soon?) is
available in slink as a deb package.  Why not just upgrade to 4.07/4.08
debs from slink instead of using an older Red Hat rpm.  Otherwise look
to /usr/doc/menu on how to manually add an item to the wm's menu.

--
Ed C.