Gnome chokes on libgtk

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know what I'm doing.

I believe I've got apt up and running, and using it I've installed
gnome-core (presumably with all its dependencies), but I can't find any
man entry on gnome, so I don't know how to make it start. I tried running
gnomeg (since it looked like a possible candidate for starting gnome), but
it gives the error:

  gnomeg: error in loading shared libraries
  libgtk-1.1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

This is whether I run as root or as a normal user. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Kent West