Re:96M RAM, but free only shows 64M!!!

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Rich Harran. wrote:

> I supposedly have 32Mb ram, but free says 30236.  Am I misinterpreting
> something, or do I have a memory problem.  (I only tried 'free' after
> following this thread!)
>
> TIA
> Rich Harran

Rich, your worried about the missing 3 MB?  I'm not sure why that happens
either.

It just so happens that I have 128MB... but lilo.conf wasn't altered with
the 'append="mem=128M"' line I'm supposed to have (that's all fixed now,
I just have to reboot). So I should currently have 64MB.  free reports
only 63528, though (ie, 62MB)  -- so I'm kinda curious about that 2 MB I'm
missing, myself.

I have no real clue (please fill me in), but it may be something like the
bios from some subsystem stays resident during boot, and in my case it
resides in the first 64MB.(???)  In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned
about it, your ram is, basically, all there.

best regards,
Rob