How do you use su under X?

As has been strongly encouraged, I spend most of my time on my linux box as a
mortal user.
Every once in a while I need to go 'root-in' around some system files to set up
a new application
that I've downloaded (or for whatever reason?).
Sure I can type
$ su root
at the promt and become root
but I cannot use the x-server - any attempts result in a message

Xlib: connection to :0.0 refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Also use xhost program...

Imagine my horror to find I have an invalid magic cookie!  Do I really have to
use xhost in order
to use an xwindows session started by another user?
-Chip Grandits