Error in reiciving mail

I have a machine with Debian Linux 2.0 and I want to use it as a mail
server, so the persons in my organization can exchange electronic
mail. I configure Outlook Express, in my PC with windows 95, to send
and receive mail using the Debian Linux machine.

I have no problems in sending mail, and the mail I send is kept in a
file whose name is my account name in /var/spool/mail.

When I try to read my mail I receive an error, and, in the
´messages.log´ file of the Linux machine I have the following messages:

in.qpopper[1114] : Unable to open temporary maildrop
´/var/spool/pop/carmen.pop´ : no such file or directory (2)

in.qpopper[1114] : -ERR System error, can´t open temporary file, do
you own it ?

Probably I have to configure something in the Linux but I don´t know
what and  how. Can you help me ?

Thank you.