A new Debian user's initial questions

Hello, everyone.  While I am not particualrly new to Linux in general
(June '98 RH 5.0/1, SuSE 5.2/3), i am totally new to Debian.  As such, I
have a few questons.

My frst question actually pertains more to System Commander than Debian
itself, though it's involved ;-)  Here it is: when I modify lilo.conf and
run lilo, all goes smoothly:

added:
   Linux *
   suse

or its equivalent.  However, when I reboot and select the root partition,
it still boots directly into Deban, as if I hadn't changed the
configuration.  Here's my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20

image=/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda2
label=Linux
read-only

image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdd1
label = suse
read-only

It looks okay to me...  Anyway, on with the questions.

What's the easiest way to configure everything to use my HP DeskJet 520
printer properly?  I saw some printcap and DeskJet tool packages whiz by,
so I thought it might be okay.  Well, when I tried to print somethng, all
that happened was the carriage nailed itslef to the other end of the rail
witha loud thwack.  In fact, it continued to do that after every
power-off, even in the pereviously-working SuSE until I unplugged the
printer cable.  Related?  Possibly...

Finaaly, a question of inclusion.  I understand that Debian strictly
adheres to the GPL, so I was wondering about the exclusion of the U. of
Washington stuff (pine, pico, etc).  I rilly love pine, and I use pico
'cuz I'm used to it for quick file reads.  It's no bg deal, really.  Ther
are a ton of great mail readers and text editors (probably better than the
previous), I was just curious.  You can be certain that I will have more
questons, but I will leave y'all alone for now.  Thanks in advance!

							-Chris