Re: Adaptec SCSI Controller?

I think a typical 7200 rpm drive is mechanically capable of about
7MB/s, so I doubt if you will see any performance advantage for U2W unless
you will be hanging several drives on the controller.

Support for the AHA-2940U2W is pretty new for Linux.  It is not in the
stock hamm kernels.  If you want to use it now, you will need to know
how to compile a custom kernel.

Some drives come in UW and U2W flavors.  You can use the U2W drive on an
UW controller, but termination is trickier.  (The drive can't be
terminated, but the scsi chain *must* be termimated).  At least, I
found that to be true for Atlas III's.

I, and others, have had driver related problems with 2940's under Linux.
Since Adaptec recently started giving tech data to the driver writers,
these are being fixed rapidly.  If you want a no-fuss, works out of the box
solution, get a Buslogic.  The driver has been stable for a long
time.  Their best controller is comparible to the 2940UW in performance
and price.  I have not used these myself, but all of the reports that
have reached my ears have been very positive.

Just about any ultra or ultra-wide drive should work great for you.

Mike