Re: Adaptec SCSI Controller?

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, SEGV wrote:

 : I'm currently deciding which Adaptec SCSI controller to get:
 :
 :   AHA-2940UW  (Ultra Wide, 40MB/s)
 :   AHA-2940U2W (Ultra 2 80MB/s)
 :
 : Will Debian Linux 2.0 take full advantage of the U2W? Will I get the full
 : transfer rate (ie, as fast as 98/NT would allow)?

As far as I know, Ultra mode isn't yet supported in the 2.0.x kernels.
However, it's a good bet that it will be supported soon, probably in the
2.2.x kernels since Adaptec is now cooperating with the Linux community.

In the mean time an Ultra controller will function as a UW controller,
unless I'm grossly mistaken.  If price is an issue you might be better
off going with all UW drives and controller.

 : PS: For harddrives I am looking at the Quantum Viking II drives. Good choice?

IMO, Quantum SCSI drives suck.  I tolerate Adaptec and I really like IBM
Ultrastar drives.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD