X text display problem

Hi.

Using Debian 2.0, 2.0.34 with X 3.3.2.3-2.

I have a couple of minor problems with text
displayed by some X applications. For instance,
the xlock (xlockmore) program displays a small
window and some text if you move the mouse or
hit a key without entering the password.  This
text should be white on the currently displayed
background color.  However, what appears to be
happening is that the text is displayed in the
proper text color (white) but on a white
background so what is actually displayed are
several white bars on the black background where
there should be text.  The same occurs with
xcoral in the 'help', 'manual'  or other windows.
With xcoral, I am able to change the foreground
and background text colors to be readable, but
regardless of what the normal background color
is set to, all of the text is displayed on a
white background.  Same thing with xemacs20.
Text background is white and can't seem to change
it.

I don't think this is an application specific
problem but an X default setting that needs to
be changed or text background specific setting
that needs to be adjusted .  I have been through
a lot of documentation and config files but
have been unable to find the solution.

Any suggestions on fixing this item?

thanks,
-------