Re-installed xserver-common and now X is broken?

I previously installed and had Xwindows working.  Then I messed with
upgrading my 'bo' system from libc5 to libc6; it broke a lot of things.
Including X.  I re-installed xserver-common, which had been un-installed
by apt; all the other X packages seem to be present, and dpkg and apt both
say there aren't any conflicting packages.  But now:

jane# startx
/usr/bin/X11/startx: /usr/bin/X11/xinit: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/X11/startx: /usr/bin/X11/xinit: No such file or directory
jane# ls -l /usr/bin/X11/xinit
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         9020 Nov  2 02:37 /usr/bin/X11/xinit
jane#

How do I fix this?

-Daniel