RE: xearth 1.0: fatal - unable to allocate enough colors

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> > Does anyone know how many colors I have if the depth is set at 8. Do not
> > say 256 because I am not using that many colors to have 256 colors
> > exhausted.
>
> 8bpp == 256 color
> 16bpp == 16million
> 32bpp == 32million
>
> The problem w/ colormaps is that some programs were not written well and use
> way more colors than they should.

I have the same problems even if the only thing I have running is gnome
panel. I wish this issue can be investigated thouroughly because the
colormap problem is not so rife on Windows and it seem sto be a huge thing
on Linux. The same applies to fonts by the way. Does this has anything to
do with Linux or is it the video card problem?

Secondly how can I reclaim lost colormaps or how can I query programs to
find how many color maps they are using? By the way in my latest test I
removed .Xdefaults file to make sure that there are no colors used.

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                          daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	            http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa         (w) 27+21+650 2816  (h) 27+21+705 8469