RE: xearth 1.0: fatal - unable to allocate enough colors

The "pepper noise" is esound loading.  The color map issue is probably caused
by some programs in GNOME eating colors.  Try loading xearth w/o GNOME running
and see if that helps.

You failed to mention what window manager you are using.  it is the window
managers job to control the color palette.  So you could also try switching
window managers.