Re: dselect (or apt) wish list

Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz> writes:

> Cant say I have seen this one, but I imagine that dselect is wise to only
> delete _installed_ packages.. so there is no need to keep them anyway.
> (Unless you actually need them)

apt is very *bad* in this place - if you use apt as method in dselect,
*all* downloaded and installed packages are deleted without any
further question.

I live in german and once i upgraded to slink (about 80 megs of
download) - this had cost me about 10 DM (i think about 6,5 US-$). All
downloads with dselect till now are about 30-40 DM. I'm not very
pleased that in the case my harddisk will fail or something else
happens and i'm in need to reinstall, i have to download all this
again and so once again to invest the all the money.

USA people seem to forget that in other contries download may be very
expensive.

And in each case it always costs time to download the deleted files
once again - hey, time is money.

I don't understand why an install tool is so dumb to delete packages
after they are intalled. If something is to be deleted, *I* decide so,
not any tool without questioning me.

That's the main cause why i still use method ftp instead of method
apt.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.