Re: Notebook for Debian

> David Welton wrote:
> > Don't want to spend a fortune
> > Don't need anything fantastic
> > Do want something that works well with Debian
> > Don't want to have to use proprietary X servers.

I picked up an HP OmniBook 800 a few weeks ago specifically to run
Debian.  So far I'm delighted.  It has only an 800x600 screen, but for
$1000 it's sub-4 lbs, tiny, has a full-size keyboard and TFT display,
2+ gig drive, 2 meg VRAM, 2 PCMCIA slots, and detatchable floppy and
CDRom (not counted in the weight).  Only 16meg of RAM, with another 32
about $70 and $64 $160.  1 year warranty.

For battery life I'm getting about 3 hours running in console mode and
about 1 hour running X.  The server is the NeoMagic one just moved from
binary-only to a free part of XF86.

It's done everything I've asked of it so far.

--Eric House

|            from the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org              |
|    "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux"    |