Re: debian-user-digest Digest V98 #1271

"J.L.M." wrote:

> 2940.  I installed Redhat and Turbolinux on it just fine.  I
> am using it now, X, IP Networking, everything is fine.  I want
> to whack this system and install debian now.  I really do want to
> do this.  Yes I have a backup.
>
> When I try to install Debian, either booting from the CD, or running
> the boot.bat on the cd, or taking the image from the CD and putting it
> on a floppy, or making a floppy with the image from debian.org, I always
> get the same result.  At the point where it initializes the AIC-7xxx,
> the machine freezes.  It doesn't boot.
>
> I have kernels, and indeed whole systems, that work fine.  Here is where
> it freezes:
> FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
> (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 8/0
> (scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
> (scsi0) BIOS enabled, IO Port 0x6c00, IRQ 11
> (scsi0) IO Memory at 0xe6000000, MMAP Memory at 0x4805000
> (scsi0) Resetting channel
> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 406 instructions downloaded
>
> That's it.  It doesn't get past that.  The next line should be:
>
> scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.0.19/3.2.4
> <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter>
> scsi : 1 host.
>
> But I don't get there.  It goes kaput.  I have to push the Microsoft button.
>
> Now, given that I have a working linux system, (58 working linux systems
> at my WORKplace, I'm proud to say :-), what's my next step?
>
> 1.      Can I make a debian install boot floppy using a known-good kernel?
>         (I know there is a debian package for making install disks, but it
>         is a chicken-egg problem.)
> 2.      Can I somehow boot redhat or turbolinux or whatever is installed, and
>         jump right into the debian install process?  Like, can I run something from
>         the cd, like "install?" from single user mode, or whatever?
> 3.      Are there any other image disks that I haven't found yet?
>
> And WHY is this happening?  Again, I'm fairly clueful, and I do have great
> success booting other linuxes on this machine...  Why not debian?

:Disclaimer --> I have not tried this, I AM a newbie (and a Dewbie) Good
Luck

Try copying one of your working kernels out of one of your other systems
onto a COPY <---note that> of your debian rescue disk,  I believe that
you can do this and it should work the file that contains the kernel is
"Linux" no quotes.