RE: Moving Files from Windows

> On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 08:42:55AM -0500, Costa, Michael J. wrote:
> > I have just installed LINUX on another machine in my office.
> The powers that
> > be are reluctant at this moment to let me put in on the network. I have
> > loaded some items down to my NT machine and now need to ship them to my
> > LINUX box. However they are too big to fit on a floppy. Anyone
> got any ideas
> > of a utility I can use to compress on NT and uncompress on LINUX?

Here's another option:  Some ftp sites are set up to allow you to
specify, with a command line option, that you want to dowload the
file(s) compressed in .gz format.

If you can find an ftp site that offers that option, you could:
1) Download files in .gz format to NT
2) Copy to floppy (or zip or whatever)
3) Mount floppy with .gz files on linux machine
4) Run gunzip on the files in linux

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a debian mirror like that, but
can't remember where.  Anyone else know of one?

--David