Re: dselect (or apt) wish list

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Jiri Baum wrote:

> Why wouldn't they be installed? (I don't use apt.) I would've thought
> they'd get installed, but not configured.

Because that is not how it works. The packages get downloaded to
/var/cache/apt/archives but if an error occurs with any package, it
bounces back to the main dselect menu without unpacking anything at all.
You can not install anything until you have downloaded everything selected
for installation/upgrade when using the apt method from dselect and it is
darned annoying. The only alternative is to issue a command-line dpkg -i
for each package (and hope you have the order correct).

> Confused.

Try it sometime. There are often cases where the Packages file is out of
sync with the archive causing 404 errors when attempting to download
packages. Also, slow connectivity to non-us causes timeouts during package
transfers. The sync problem is assumed to be in the course of the mirror
updating, it has probably gotten the new Packages file but the archive
itself has not been updated with the files themselves.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!