dselect problems

I've got dselect using the 'apt' method, if it's relavent.

A few days ago dselect had trouble when I was updating the package
list, I -think- the download managed to die is such a fasion that
they were truncated to zero.  Since then it thinks all the packages
that aren't installed are "new", even after further updates.

Also, there are a few files that show up in the package list under
the "Up to date" section like this:
 *** Req base     base-files   2.0.3       2.0.3       Debian Base System Miscel
Why does it want to update the file (the *'s, I assume mean that) when
I have the latest one installed?

Last bit:  Do the version numbers tell us when packages really need to
be updated.  For example there's plenty in the dselect list like
this:
 *== Req base     kbd          0.96a-6     0.96a-7     Linux console font and k
where just the -7 has changed.  IS it really worth updating that?

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Gay-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer@tertius.net.au  http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/