Re: Exim configuration for dialup users (was Re: Exim as default mailer)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Mike Orr wrote:

> As another person stated, the problem is really SMTP's fault --- it's
> inadequate for dialup users with dynamic IPs.  But UUCP is frequently
> not an option because most ISPs don't know what it is and those that do
> charge extra for it.

I help folks out with uucp over tcp/ip acting as the MX host for their
domain and spooling the mail up for them to grab when they connect to the
internet. I also write the addresses in user@domain format rather than
host!user uucp style so exim or any mailer can handle them. As long as
there is an rmail command on the system, it should work.

Note that sbay.org handles mail by uucp for the SF-Bay area of the US and
I also handle about 20 domains all over the world with my own server. I
might encourage folks with a permanently connected server to accept uucp
over tcp/ip accounts for people with dialup access but own a domain and
who want email using that domain name.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!