RE: Exim as default mailer

Here's the exim setup I have for my dialup system, and it works brilliantly (I
recieve on an average 700 messages daily for all the Linux, Debian newsgroups
I'm subscribed to):

1. Have exmh activated via xinetd for dynamic startup.
2. Have atd start my dialup connection using pon 1 every hour.
3. 2 minutes later, atd starts up fetchmail to retrieve my email from various
pop email servers I have over the internet. This dumps the mail to localhost
(ie exmh takes the dump).
4. Have qpopper set up so that on any pop email client that I use (ie most UNIX
and MS Windows email-programs) can then *quickly* grab the mail stored locally
in exmh and transfer it to my email client on my home's LAN.
5. Of course, when I reply, it is sent to my exmh server. I have never had an
issue with exmh getting the mail routed on out to my ISP's SMTP server, even if
the dialup connection is not going. This might be due to the fact that I also
have diald setup. The most trouble I have ever had was from not having all my
PC's running the correct time on their systems - this really causes email to do
strange things !

The advantage of this setup is no matter how large of an email I am receiving
or sending (lots of attachments), it appears to get sent instantly, but then
exmh can take the time it needs to get the large data transmitted over the slow
56k modem connection. Even so, the most latency I've seen is due to the hourly
ISP connection I have set up.