Re: Debian Crash

On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 04:46:29PM +0000, Rich Harran. wrote:
> My Debian system just crashed.  This has never happened before, which is
> one of the things I like about Linux.

<snip>

> My questions:
>
> 	Is there a problem with my hardware (it's quite old)?
> 	Was there a problem with Linux?
> 	If not, is there now?
> 	If so, how do I fix it?
> 	What should I do to test the components in my system individually?
> 		I put it together myself (about 2 years ago), so I don't
> 		mind poking around inside.

The only Linux crash I have ever had was when I was using Netscape. I
[believe] Netscape is responsible for my crash, anyway.

One problem with using the reset button is that the data on your disk drive
can be corrupted. I'm not saying that this happened, but it could have. If
you notice something that used to work but does not work now, that is a clue
that something was trashed. Missing files and directories are also possible,
as are other odd behaviours.

I don't see how hardware damage is likely.

It's possible no damage was done at all. I don't know of any 'test' you can
perform. Maybe you can use your locate database to see if anything has
changed since it last updated (assuming it hasn't run since the crash).

--
Jim Foltz <aa204@acorn.net>