Re: dselect (or apt) wish list

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 04:51:40PM -0500, Zack Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For what it's worth, here's a wishlist for debian install scripts (in no
> particular order).
>
> 1) There doesn't seem to be any order regarding which packages are
> downloaded first. I suggest that, by default, dependencies should be
> downloaded before the files that depend upon them. Likewise, there doesn't
> seem to be any order in installation. I suggest the same thing for that.

It would be nice indeed.

> 2) If there are a lot of .deb files sitting around, this slows down dselect
> by producing a lot of screen garbage during the "install" phase. I suggest
> that .deb files that have already been installed (or that have not been
> marked for installation) should not be displayed during this phase.

give try to dpkg-mountable, it's one of its features wich make me prefer
this method to cdrom or mounted in dselect

> 3) At the end of the "install" phase, dselect asks if it should delete
> installed packages. I suggest that either the default be changed to 'no', or
> else it be made possible to change the default via a config file. I really
> hate having a single keypress be able to wipe out days of downloading.

why don't just you move your .deb in a safer place once dselect end its job ?

[snip]
> 6) In the "install" phase, when dselect asks if I would like to select the
> individual packages, it would be fantastic if I could run up and down the
> list, choosing and unchoosing various items, while seeing a dynamic update
> of how much total space will be required. Also, even better would be the

I'd really like to have such a feature when I want to make a demo of debian :
"See how much wonder you can do with debian in just 400 Meg" and arghh :
install interrupted because I've selected 410 Meg :-((. Yes, I could prepare
the install once for all but I think that showing that the install is not
that difficult has more impact than coming with an already prepared HD...

[snip]
> 8) Last but not least, during the "select" phase, when searching for
> packages, only package names are searchable. I would really like to search
> descriptions as well.

Searching on description is appealing to me too.

--
Laurent PICOULEAU
   lcrpic@a2points.com