Re: Can I start X while other stuff going on?

> :Can I switch to another virtual terminal and start X Windows while I've
> :got something else going on in the first vterm, such as a download or a
> :dselect session, etc?
>
> I'm sure you've already gotten a million positive responses :) However, in
> my experience, it's not a good idea to switch to console too often - once
> in a while, X crashes (at least, it does for me, on 3 entirely different
> machines), which will kill your download and everything else...

X is stable on my machines, too bad it isn't on yours.  Maybe
an upgrade will help?

Crashing X will take down any download going on in a xterm
or some x-based download app.  But it won't kill a download
running on a virtual console.  X may screw up the keyboard
and make life difficult that way, but downloads outside x
will complete unless you also hang the kernel.

Helge Hafting